August 17, 2021
NCGA Fitness: Remember to Hydrate
Dehydration is bad for your health and for your golf game!
- DRINK – Hydrate before you get to the course. Start your day with a glass or two of water and give your body a jump start. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink. When you are thirsty you are already starting to feel the effects of dehydration.
- FLAVOR – Watch out for Sports Drinks as they may contain excessive amounts of sugar. Energy drinks contain sugar and caffeine. Water is always your best option for maximum hydration. If plain water is too boring boost the flavor by adding fruit, cucumber, mint etc.
- EAT – Eating hydrating fruits and vegetables during your round will help you stay hydrated. They are also packed with important electrolytes, replacing energy, and giving you even more hydrating power.
- ALCOHOL – Alcohol not only increases your risk of dehydration, but also impairs play. Alcohol can impact your game as it decreases concentration, agility, motor skills, balance, and strategic decision-making. Save the alcohol for the 19th hole!
- HABIT – Create a hydrating habit. Maybe you take a drink every other hole or before each tee shot. Try and stick with that throughout your round. Use your water breaks to relax and calm your nerves out on the course.
Finally – Rehydrate with water and eat some food after a round before you unwind with a cocktail. Staying properly hydrated will improve your performance and maybe even lower your score!